|Fabienne Spier Prepares Seasonal Foods|
- The notion of “cooking from scratch” was new because everything is usually cooked from scratch in France.
- Americans experienced guilt rather than joy from eating.
- Eating out was routine in the US. In France eating out is reserved for special occasions because it is more expensive than eating at home.
- Exercise looked hard and seemed to be an activity that must be done in a gym. France people get much of their exercise from walking, the main mode of transportation.
- Cook simple, quality foods. Quality is much more important than quantity;
- Walk 45 minutes a day;
- Drink water instead of sweetened beverages;
- When hungry grab an apple. They are filling, sweet, and satisfying; and
- Be curious about the foods you buy. Your decisions have an impact on your health, that of your family, and the planet. Read labels, try to buy local products, and choose meat and fish that have been humanely and sustainably raised (more expensive but you don’t need to eat them every day).